I've just returned from meeting of Sydney Presbytery, at which I was accepted as an ordination
candidate. At last, after all these years of floating around, I have a clear "path" for ministry. Praise God.
As a candidate, I get formal access the Presbyterian ministry network - local, statewide, national & international - for ministry opportunities, and general fellowship and fraternisation. And, as you all no doubt are aware, the whole point of me wanting to be Presbyterian rather than any other denomination is that I fit the Presbyterian way of doing things.
So - I'm now officially part of the Presbyterian world - let's explore it...
Everything in the public square seems to be increasingly conflicted. We seem to be operating with less and less shared values. It feels like we're less and less sure of what holds us together as a 'society.' A retreat into 'tribes' both drives this social fragmentation and is a result of it. Post-modern scepticism towards metanarratives, which has now become culturally normal, significantly contributes to this fragmentation. If we no longer believe that objective truth, independent of our individual or tribal perspectives, exists, we will no longer believe we can appeal to that objective reality as common ground for debate. All we will do is exert power to magnify ourselves and punish those who disagree with us. Because we believe that our cause is right, we will always think of ourselves as the victim of other people's aggression. Therefore, as Stephen McAlpine says, we will always think we're punching "up." We'll valorise ourselves as the ...
Comments
I get to be the first to say congratulations and welcome (at least the first online). Well done. I'll be interested to hear what you got asked.
Many blessings,
John
I loved you when you were baptised a Methodist in Sri Lanka, dedicated a Baptist in Hawai, Confirmed an Anglican back in Sri Lanka - and so on - you have found your special niche - and I love you still!
Mum